Top Nine Ways to Create More Backlinks
If you haven’t read part one of this blog series, read it here.
Just a refresher, a backlink is a link from another website back to your website. They are important because they indicate to search engines that your information is useful, and this will help your website (or a web page) rank higher in search engines. Getting backlinks can be a challenging process but it is worth the time and effort. Read through these nine methods of getting backlinks and pick out a few to work on right now and eventually make your way through the rest. Soon enough you should start bringing in the backlinks (and improving your search engine results and see more website visitors!).
The top nine ways to create more backlinks:
1. Create high quality relevant content: Before you can start requesting backlinks, you need link worthy content. If other websites see the value in your content, they may share it on their websites. So, start by making sure you have some high-quality content before you begin the process of gaining backlinks, otherwise you will face an uphill battle.
2. Build personal relationships: Building personal relationships with other business owners within your industry is one of the best ways to get backlinks. By forming these relationships, you are setting yourself up for success (and more backlinks). A good way to find people within your industry is to get on social media and start interacting with these people. By interacting with people within your industry, you can start forming relationships and eventually it may lead to backlinks. You can offer to guest blog, ask them to share your content on their page, or create new content for them. Of course, you should offer to return the favor on your website. Forming relationships doesn’t just help you gain backlinks, but it helps you to learn more about the industry by befriending industry experts.
3. Guest blogging: Guest blogging for other websites is a great way to get backlinks to your website. Start by finding popular blogs related to your industry. Then reach out to these bloggers and ask to write a new blog for their website. To get any traction, include some previous articles which could go well on their website. Offer to customize an existing article. You can offer in return to feature one of their blog posts on your website as a trade. Make sure your website is linked in your post, and you got yourself a backlink.
4. Steal backlinks from your competitors: Two platforms that help you look into what backlinks your competitors are getting are Moz and SEMrush. Once you find the platform that suits your needs, enter your competitor's website to find where they are getting backlinks. You can then reach out to these websites and offer your services for a chance to get a backlink.
5. Create infographics: Infographics are informative, and people love them. They are easy to read, but they also give you helpful information. Create infographics on an interesting topic and share them on your website and social media platforms. If people run across them and think they will be helpful to their audience, they will share it on their website and give you a link back to your website.
6. Create interactive content: Interactive content includes polls, quizzes, videos, etc. Creating fun interactive content gives your website the opportunity to be shared on other websites and social media platforms, creating backlinks for you. Make sure they are relevant to your business industry but make it fun to make visitors want to share your interactive content.
7. Comment on high quality blog posts: Find high-quality blog sites within your industry and start commenting on their articles. Be sure to act professionally; you should add value to the content and avoid commenting on every blog post you come across. When adding a comment, be sure to complement the article, to show you read the post. Then offer some knowledge you have on the topic, since its within your industry you should be an expert. Don’t steal the author’s thunder, but add value to the conversation. Then include a link to your website or a page or blog post relevant to the conversation. This is a different way of getting a backlink, because you are doing it yourself, and not reaching out to someone and relying on them to give you a backlink.
8. Claim broken links: if you ever have been looking through a website and click a link and stumble upon a broken link, you now have the perfect opportunity to claim a backlink. If you have content relevant to what the broken link contains, you can reach out to the website owner and offer your content to replace the broken content. The website owner will appreciate the fact that you pointed out a broken link, because it is something you don’t want on your website and they may replace the broken link with your link if it meets their needs.
9. Use marketing tools to search for backlinks: there are some great marketing tools such as Moz and SEMrush to help find backlinks. Use these tools to help find backlinks, by typing in your web address and get suggestions for backlinks ideas.
Now that you understand what backlinks are and some different methods of getting backlinks, you are ready to start the process. Create a plan for your business on how you will go about going through each process, along with a timeline of when you want to get each one done. Remember that getting backlinks isn't always easy, so take your time and don’t get frustrated if one method doesn't work for you. Once you start bringing in backlinks, don’t forget to track your backlinks using Google Search Console. We are always here to help. If you have questions about backlinks or want some help, please contact us or book a meeting online.